Sunday 6 July 2014

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Now you can learn how to train your dragon too

"How to Train Your Dragon" was one of the first animated films in a long while to surprise and impress me when I first watched it. When it first was released all I associated with Dreamworks Animation were some mediocre Shrek sequels, some animals in Africa, and a kung fu fighting panda people had told me was actually pretty good. "How to Train Your Dragon" was the first Dreamworks film that made me go "okay, maybe they really can get to Pixar's level" (this, of course, was before Cars 2).


Even though I fell in love with "How to Train Your Dragon", or perhaps because I fell in love with it, I wasn't very pleased when I first heard words of a sequel. Not only a sequel, but a television series as well. I can't speak much for the series (I've seen but one episode, and it was completely okay), but that told me that this was just another cash cow for Dreamworks to milk dry like Shrek and Madagascar before it. Even after I learned that the film was in fact based on a book series which had eight installments at the time (twelve now), so clearly it was never intended to be a one-off to begin with. But that's just how it goes for me with animation, if I hear news of a sequel, I prepare for the worst.

     Because of this I didn't really pay any attention to the building of the franchise as the years past by. The TV series came and went without me even noticing it, and all of a sudden the first teasers and trailer dropped for the film's sequel. I watched a few of them, but nothing really sparked within me, they were just reminders that made me go "oh yeah, this is a thing that's happening". The film premiered, and I didn't go. Normally when I want to go watch a film I watch it in the opening weekend, but I didn't feel the slightest urge to do so for this. It wasn't until a week later, when I was itching to just see something at the cinema, that I decided that this would have to do. As I'd already watched all the ones I really wanted to watch. It was animation after all, and I like to keep up with animation, and I had at some point really liked the first film. Maybe this would at least be decent? Boy am I glad I decided to go.

     This is one of the better sequels I have watched, at least in relation to the first film. Empire Strikes Back, Toy Story 3, Back to the Future Part II, it's in that kind of league. The core of this film is both familiar from the first film, and totally new. Instead of watching Hiccup deal with being the shame of his father and town, not being able to do any good, we see him deal with being the pride of his father and town, not being able to do any wrong. Five years have passed since the original installment, and in that time Hiccup has proven himself as one of the best dragon riders there is, and capable of great leadership and courage. The main drive of the plot this time 'round is much the same as for the last one as well. Exploring the unknown. In the first film Hiccup catches and studies Toothless, a dragon never really seen before, and learns more about dragon kind than anyone ever has before him. In this sequel he keeps up that exploration, only a tad more literal. He spends his days flying in all directions from his home island, looking for more land, dragons, and people. It's in this search that he suddenly finds himself at the centre of the plot. 

     Just in general the world expansion is some of the better I've seen. They are careful not to add too much at once. They ease us in, letting us remember the world, let us recognise it, and then they add the new stuff they've learned since last time. Nothing of it seems particularly weird, or unexpected, but it isn't completely predictable either. It just convincingly sells us a bigger world, and that Berk (the town) fits perfectly well within it. It feels like the first film set up the shot, and this film sent it on its way. 

     If I had to come up with a complaint it is that the film may be a bit on the short side. Some things feel like they go a bit fast, and it can feel bumpy and uneasy. As if  your sat on the back of some kind of flying, wild beast. But it wasn't something that put me off in the middle of the experience. It was more of an afterthought while trying to string together my thoughts for the film. Pauses were few and far between, there was never a dull moment, and maybe it would have benefited from one. 

     All in all I have to say, as you expect, that I really liked this film. It makes me excited for the third one which I'm hoping will show you just how well "How to Train Your Dragon 2" actually hit that shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment