Monday 12 January 2015

Whiplash - One of 2015's Bests

I was dismissive when I first saw the trailer for "Whiplash". I actually thought it looked stupid. Pretentious, overzealous, absurd, bizarre, but it got great reviews all around. People started giving it awards. So when it finally came to Norwegian theatres I gave it a go.


I would be surprised if this film doesn't show up again in a post on the first of January, 2016. It may only be the twelfth of January, 2015, but I am sure this will be one of the best films I see all year. It's masterful, it's magnificent, it drags out a bit towards the end, but it makes up for all of it.

The acting is really what is at the centre of this piece. JK Simmons and Miles Teller are absolutely excellent in what they do. It's rare for me to feel so much with and for on screen characters, but they came to life absolutely. It was as if I had known them for years, every mannerism, every speech pattern, every stance, they were perfect. They really know how to play off of each other, give each other exactly what is needed. Before this film I was mostly indifferent to Simmons' acting ability, and leaned more towards the negative side for Teller, this changed everything. Simmons isn't James Jonah Jameson Jr. anymore, Tiller isn't that one guy from "That Awkward Moment". They fully are Fletcher and Neiman.

The only thing that drags this film down even a little is part from around the three fifths mark to the four fifths mark. Quite a few times it feels as if the film is getting ready to end, and on a good note, but it keeps going for a while. It took me too long to realise that it was actually going to go on for a little while longer, and it made me kind of resent the film. Almost made me bored at parts, especially as these parts are a bit slower than the rest. It could have used some tightening to really make the film pop all throughout. But in the end it does all come together, it does become worth it. It's just a shame that you have to wait until the end to be able to appreciate the middle parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment